The state of New Mexico has two colleges that offer accredited sonography tech training: Central New Mexico Community College (CNM) in Albuquerque and Dona Ana Community College (DACC) in Las Cruces. Both two-year institutions of higher learning serving their respective communities, Central New Mexico and Dona Ana are accredited by the Commission of Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) in collaboration with the Joint Review Committee on Education in Diagnostic Medical Sonography (JRC-DMS). CNM offers its program through its School of Health, Wellness & Public Safety, while DACC offers its own through its Health and Public Services Division.
At Central New Mexico or Dona Ana, aspiring sonographers can enroll in the two-year Associate of Applied Science degree in Diagnostic Medical Sonography. However, students at the latter can opt for a certificate program instead; this takes about a year to complete, and it consists of 55 credits. Also, while the A.A.S. sonography program at CNM consists of 70 credits, the one at DACC requires at least 88 or 89 credits for completion. Students at either institution need to take certain prerequisites, which can be in subjects such as English, biology, algebra, physics, communications, computer science, or psychology. Of the two choices, DACC offers the more elaborate program. Worthy of note at Dona Ana is the four units of the Clinical Internship Advanced & Seminar course, designed to prepare students for a professional life in hospitals and clinics.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Medical Assisting
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Medical Billing and Coding Certificate
- Health Care degrees include BA in Health Care Administration, BS in Health Information Management, BS in Nursing (RN to BSN), and more.
- Coursework focuses on relevant topics in the health care field, such as administration, planning, and policy.
- Students can specialize in areas like Human Resource Management, Health Care Informatics Systems, and Long-Term Care Management.
- Online degree programs that can help students pursue a degree on their own schedule.
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Healthcare Management programs at the bachelor and master’s level, with undergraduate specializations in health services administration and gerontology management.
- Specialized degrees that provide in-depth study across multiple disciplines, such as law, marketing, business, government, and technology.
- Industry-current curriculum where more of the courses you take are devoted to your field of interest, on average, than at other similar schools.
- Regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) of the North Central Association (NCA).
- Master's Healthcare Management
- Why study nursing at Grand Canyon University?
- Our bachelor’s and master’s degrees in nursing are CCNE-accredited and the College of Nursing and Health Care Professions (CONHCP) is approved by the Arizona State Board of Nursing.
- We provide many options to prepare you to begin or advance your nursing career, including bridge programs and dual degrees.
- GCU provides a low student-to-teacher ratio and a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients.
- Request more information today about program offerings, CCNE accreditation, start dates, financial aid and more!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- B.S. in Health Sciences: Professional Development & Advanced Patient Care
- Medical Assistant
- Dental Assistant
- Medical Insurance Billing and Coding
Get hands-on training with Brookline College. We offer diploma and degree programs in the areas of health care, business, nursing, criminal justice, paralegal, and computer security. We understand that today's student is busy with many responsibilities, so we offer day, evening, and online classes, giving you options to fit school into your schedule.
- Diploma - Medical Assistant Spanish
- Diploma - Medical Assistant
- Diploma - Pharmacy Technician
- And more...
Ultimate Medical Academy Educates Future Healthcare Professionals
You bring your goals and motivation to UMA, and we will provide you the education and the support to help make you a success! Even if you haven’t been serious about your career before, we can help boost your confidence and prepare you for a career in healthcare.
- Diploma - Medical Administrative Assistant
- A.S. - Medical Billing & Coding
- Diploma - Medical Billing & Coding
- And more...
- Veterinary Assistant
Penn Foster College
Penn Foster College offers a complete learning experience for busy adults looking to advance their education around their schedule. With Penn Foster College, you can earn your degree or undergraduate certificate online and at a pace that’s right for you.
Here’s why thousands of students have chosen Penn Foster College:
• Accreditation —Penn Foster College is nationally accredited by the Distance Education Accrediting Commission (DEAC) and licensed by the Arizona State Board for Private Postsecondary Education.
- Veterinary Technician (Associate)
SALARIES FOR MEDICAL SONOGRAPHERS
According to a 2012 report by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), diagnostic medical sonographers in New Mexico made a median yearly income of $68,100, or $32.74 per hour. The bottom 10 percent of sonographers in the state took home $42,200 ($20.29 per hour), while the top 10 percent earned $88,000 ($42.29 per hour) in 2012. Generally, the salary numbers for diagnostic medical sonographers in New Mexico are higher than the national numbers. Also, the BLS expects a 36 percent jump in the number of sonographers in the state between 2010 and 2020, thus bringing the number from 470 to 650.
LIST OF DIAGNOSTIC MEDICAL SONOGRAPHY PROGRAMSCentral New Mexico Community College (Albuquerque, NM) Dona Ana Community College (Las Cruces, NM)
Medical Sonography Classes in New Mexico
|New Mexico State University - Dona Ana (NMSU)||3400 S Espina |
Las Cruces, New Mexico 88003
|Central New Mexico Community College||525 Buena Vista SE |
Albuquerque, New Mexico 87106
|Dona Ana Community College||3400 S Espina St, MSC 3DA, PO Box30001, Las Cruces 88003||dabcc.nmsu.edu|