In the state of Louisiana, there are two institutions of higher learning--accredited by the Commission of Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP)--that provide ultrasound technician programs. At its School of Allied Health campus in Shreveport, Louisiana State University (LSU), the flagship institution of the Louisiana State University System, offers a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree in Cardiopulmonary Science, with emphasis on cardiovascular sonography and respiratory therapy. In addition to CAAHEP, the LSU program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care (CoARC). Delgado Community College (DCC), a two-year public institution located in the New Orleans metro area, has a post-associate certificate (P.A.C.) program in diagnostic medical sonography it offers through its Allied Health division.
SONOGRAPHY EDUCATION IN LOUISIANA
The LSU curriculum consists of 71 semester credits; the institution requires completion of no less than 60 credits to receive the B.S. degree. Also, it is more focused on respiratory and cardiopulmonary diagnoses and therapy. The training program at Delgado is shorter and less elaborate; it only consists of 33 credits, which can be completed in half the time as the undergraduate degree (two years). Also, the program has a more toned ultrasound focus, with specialization in OB/GYN and abdominal. The P.A.C. program at DCC is designed for people who already have an associate degree, or have at least 60 credits worth of college coursework. Although both programs have clinical practicums for promoting hands-on experience from a simulated workplace, the LSU program offers five units while the one at DCC has four.
- See how you could play a crucial role in healthcare with a Medical Assisting degree
- This degree program is available in both English and Spanish
- Offers scholarships to qualified active-duty personnel, retirees & dependents
- Ranked #42 in 2018 Best Value Schools in U.S. News & World Report
- Regionally accredited private career university with degrees on campus or online
- Associate of Science in Diagnostic Medical Sonography-Concentration in General and Vascular Sonography
- Associate of Science in Diagnostic Medical Sonography
- Associate of Science in Nuclear Medicine Technology
- And more...
- Find Online Schools. 100% Online Accredited Courses
- Get Matched to Programs In A Few Clicks!
- Earn an Affordable Degree from Home at your own pace
- Get College info today. Its Free and Easy!
SALARIES FOR ULTRASOUND TECHNOLOGISTS IN LOUISIANA
According to a report by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), diagnostic medical sonographers in Louisiana had a median yearly income of $55,600 ($26.71/hour). That year the bottom 10 percent were able to make a median annual salary of $40,300 ($19.37/hour). On the other side of the spectrum, the top 10 percent earners in the Louisiana sonography workforce had a median yearly wage of $75,300 ($36.22/hour). There were 800 diagnostic medical sonographers in Louisiana, a number that the BLS expects to grow by 35 percent by 2020.
LIST OF DIAGNOSTIC MEDICAL SONOGRAPHY PROGRAMS IN LOUISIANA
Delgado Community College (New Orleans, LA)
Louisiana State University in Eunice (Shreveport, LA)
Medical Sonography Classes in Louisiana
|Our Lady of Holy Cross College||4123 Woodland Drive |
New Orleans, Louisiana 70131
|Unitech Training Academy-Lafayette||3605 Ambassador Caffery |
Lafayette, Louisiana 70503
|Louisiana State University Eunice||2048 Johnson Hwy |
Eunice, Louisiana 70535
|Delgado Community College||615 City Park Ave |
New Orleans, Louisiana 70119
|Baton Rouge Community College||201 Community College Drive |
Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70806
|Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center-New Orleans||433 Bolivar St |
New Orleans, Louisiana 70112