A career as a sonography tech can be satisfying professionally and support a family very well. In North Carolina, the mean annual wage for sonographer exceeds $62,000. That is nearly 50 percent higher than the average annual pay of $41,000 for all workers in the state. Pay for sonography tech at North Carolina is also higher than the average pay for many other kinds of medical technicians, including cardiovascular technicians, radiology technicians, and surgical technicians.
Career Opportunities for Sonographer in NC
This high pay comes with a range of challenging and interesting career opportunities. Sonography tech may specialize in any of several body systems as they provide information that assists members of the medical team in making diagnoses. Some of the areas ultrasound technicians focus on include these:
- the stomach and digestive system;
- the heart;
- blood vessels and blood flow;
- the spinal cord and brain;
- soft tissue and joints;
- fetal development and female reproductive health;
- breast mammography
How to Become a Sonographer in NC
To become a sonographer in North Carolina, begin with a certificate or associate's degree program at one of many community colleges, technical colleges or private colleges that offer this specialized training. Programs are offered throughout the state:
- Sonography tech schools in Charlotte NC and surroundings -- Catawba Valley Community College; ECPI; Gaston College; King's College
- Sonography tech schools in the Triangle and Piedmont NC -- Brookstone College; Durham Technical Community College; Forsyth Technical Community College; Johnston Community College; Miller-Motte College; Piedmont Community College; South Piedmont Community College
- Sonography tech schools in Coastal NC -- Cape Fear Community College; Carteret Community College; Pitt Community College; Stanly Community College
- Sonography tech schools in the Mountains of NC -- Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College; Caldwell Community College and Technical Institute; Southwestern Community College
Sorry, we could not find any matching schools
Pursuing Certification via Sonography Tech Schools in NC
Sonographers who work at North Carolina do not need any certification or license. Some states are considering legislation to require licensing of sonography tech so obtaining certification may be wise for long-term professional development.
To obtain certification, a person must pass an exam. Most people take the exam provided by the American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography. Some people find it easiest to pass the exam after completing an accredited course for sonography. About half of the training courses offered in North Carolina are accredited. Other students may use an exam preparation program, available online, to make sure they are ready for the test.
Career Futures for Sonography Tech School NC Graduates
Most graduates of North Carolina sonography tech schools find jobs in hospitals and surgical centers. However, a growing number of these graduates find work in private diagnostic centers and doctors' offices as well. Job opportunities are expected to continue growing. The Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates 22 percent job growth for this career between 2008 and 2018 in North Carolina.
[table id=36 /]