Are you a Minnesota resident interested in working as a sonography tech? If so, read below and learn important information on the various sonography tech schools in Minnesota, as well the programs offered.
Students interested a careers in medical sonography have about five sonography schools in Minnesota from which to choose. Located throughout Minnesota, the schools include:
- Argosy University – Twin Cities in Eagan
- Mayo School of Health Sciences – Rochester
- St. Catherine University – St. Paul
- St. Cloud Technical and Community College – St. Cloud
- University of Minnesota - Rochester
Sonography Education in Minnesota
Although sonography education varies by school, all sonography programs require students to complete classroom courses, laboratory classes and clinical education. The clinical portion requires that students spend a designated number of hours in supervised internships in area healthcare facilities. Courses students may take include sonography principles and instrumentation, ultrasound physics, foundation of sonography, anatomy and physiology, medical terminology and psychology.
Students also complete courses, both coursework and clinicals, in various areas of sonography such as pediatric, abdominal, vascular and OB/GYN sonography. Upon completion of most of the programs, the student is eligible to sit for the American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography national certification exams in abdominal ultrasound, ultrasound physics, gynecological and obstetrical ultrasound, echocardiography and vascular technology.
- Interested in Helping Others? Get Educated in the Medical Field.
- Medical Assisting, Nursing, Health Sciences Degree Programs and More From Top Colleges that Fit Your Needs.
- Build the Capabilities and Connections to Power Your Future.
- Find Schools Online or Near You & Get Info for FREE Today!
- Find Online Schools. 100% Online Accredited Courses
- Get Matched to Programs In A Few Clicks!
- Earn an Affordable Degree from Home at your own pace
- Get College info today. Its Free and Easy!
Salaries for Sonography Tech
Although the salaries for sonograhpy tech in Minnesota vary by location and experience, these medical professionals generally earn very good wages. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported that diagnostic medical sonographers earned a mean annual wage of $72,870 as of May 2012. This amount, which is substantially higher than the national average of $66,360, continues to grow each year.
According to the Society of Diagnostic Medical Sonography 2013 Salary and Benefits Survey, the median annual wage for sonographers was $70,000. They also reported that the median wage for men ($73,130) was higher than for women ($68,125).
List of Medical Sonography Programs
Diagnostic medical sonography programs are similar from school to school. Associate degree programs are generally aimed at students starting this career, whereas, bachelor’s degree and certificate programs are usually for registered radiologists who wish to advance their training. Here are the different programs students can take to become ultrasound technicians in Minnesota.
- Certificate of Completion in Sonography
- Associate of Applied Science in Diagnostic Medical Sonography - Generalist
- Associate of Applied Science in Diagnostic Medical Sonography with specializations in echocardiography, general sonography or vascular technology
- Bachelor of Science in Health Professions with a Sonography concentration
Medical Sonography Classes in Minnesota
|St Catherine University||2004 Randolph Ave |
Saint Paul, Minnesota 55105
|St Cloud Technical and Community College||1540 Northway Drive |
Saint Cloud, Minnesota 56303
|Lake Superior College||2101 Trinity Rd |
Duluth, Minnesota 55811
|Argosy University-Twin Cities||1515 Central Parkway |
Eagan, Minnesota 55121
|Mayo School of Health Sciences||200 First St SW |
Rochester, Minnesota 55905
|Mayo Clinic||200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN – 55905||www.mayoclinic.org|