Maryland has several well-known medical institutions, some of which are world famous. Working in these establishments as an ultrasound technician offers an exciting challenge. Ultrasound technologists, or sonographers, use cutting edge technology that allows doctors and practitioners to view non-invasive images of the body, facilitating diagnosis and treatment of illness. There are several good ultrasound technician schools in md.
What do Sonographers Do?
According to the government website “Diagnostic Medical Sonographer” these technicians gather sonographic data to diagnosis disease and to monitor fetal heartbeat. They observe the screen, adjust the equipment for best imaging, and then generate reports to physicians who interpret them.
What Kind of Education do Sonographer Need?
Maryland does not require licensing as a sonographer, but most employers prefer people who have been trained at accredited schools and who have voluntarily submitted themselves for licensing. There are five areas of specialty for ultrasound technicians.
- Obstetrics and gynecology
- Cardiovascular sonography
- Abdominal sonography
- Breast sonography
You can graduate from a school with a certificate in as little as six months to a year. Associate degrees take two years, bachelor degrees take four years to complete, after which students can elect to pursue higher degrees, adding another two years for a master’s degree and three to five years for a doctorate. Students who want to pursue a career in sonography should decide on a professional goal within the field and then determine which educational path to follow.
Classes in most sonography schools in Maryland include Sonographic Imaging, which teaches students the factors and approaches that produce quality images. Other classes usually offered in the degree are: Medical Terminology, Anatomy and Physiology and Ultrasound Physics.
What Schools Teach Sonography in Maryland?
There are several online programs, some quite good, that are offered nationally. Maryland also has many community colleges and training schools for ultrasound technology. These schools usually assume incoming students already have completed prerequisites in mathematics, science, communications and other classes germane to a health-sciences career. For students who want to obtain an associate or higher degree at a traditional brick-and-mortar college, here are a few of the best.
- Montgomery College, located in Takoma Park, Maryland. The contact person is Linda Zanin and her email address is email@example.com
- Johns Hopkins University, located in Baltimore. The contact person is Carol Iverson, and her email address is firstname.lastname@example.org
- University of Maryland Baltimore County. This school is located in Baltimore as well. The contact person is Lyna Rumbarger at email@example.com
As the world is adjusting to new realities, we are prepared to help you work towards a successful future in a manner that is safer for you and the community at large. Here's how:
- We offer in-demand, career-focused education delivered through your local campus using live, interactive synchronous online delivery. There's also the flexibility to transition to an in-seat class environment once the current situation is resolved.
- Medical Radiography - Associate's
- Find Online Schools. 100% Online Accredited Courses
- Get Matched to Programs In A Few Clicks!
- Earn an Affordable Degree from Home at your own pace
- Get College info today. Its Free and Easy!
What is the Job Outlook for Sonographers?
The 2023 career growth projections for sonographers were 445 new jobs and 160 replacement positions. Of course, with implementation of the Affordable Healthcare Act, demand will grow. The median salary for sonographers in Maryland in 2012 was $72,620.
Ultrasound technology or sonography, is a profession which offers many career paths. Clearly, with hospitals like Johns Hopkins, Maryland is an attractive location for practitioners, and a superior state to choose for your education.
Medical Sonography Classes in Maryland
|Sanford-Brown Institute-Landover||8401 Corporate Drive, Suite 500 |
Landover, Maryland 20785
|Montgomery College||51 Mannakee Street |
Rockville, Maryland 20850
|University of Maryland - Baltimore (UMB)||620 West Lexington St |
Baltimore, Maryland 21201
|Johns Hopkins Hospital||1800 Orleans St, #4052, Baltimore 21287||www.hopkinsmedicine.org|
|University of Maryland Baltimore County||1450 S. Rolling Road, Baltimore 21227||www.umbc.edu|