The College of Southern Nevada--often abbreviated as CSN--is the only school based in Las Vegas that offers an ultrasound technician program accredited by the Commission of Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP). Although it offers three four-year degrees (Dental Hygiene,Cardiorespiratory Sciences, and Medical Laboratory Scientist), CSN is primarily a two-year institution, and it is the largest public higher education institution in the state.
SONOGRAPHY EDUCATION IN LAS VEGAS
At the College of Southern Nevada, aspiring ultrasound technicians enroll in the Associate of Applied Science (AAS) Degree in Diagnostic Medical Sonography program. Students can choose one of two tracks: Cardiac/Vascular Ultrasound or General/Vascular Ultrasound. Consisting of 92 credits, the Cardiac track is for those who wish to specialize in the cardiovascular system, of which the heart and blood vessels are two of the major components; they become competent in adult and pediatric echocardiography. On the other hand, students of the General Ultrasound track have to take 93 credits and are specifically trained in abdominal and obstetrics/gynecology (OB/GYN) ultrasound. Each track requires taking general education courses in the following academic categories: Communications, English, Human Relations, Mathematics, Science, and Fine Arts/Humanities/Social Sciences. Upon graduation, students are eligible to sit for the National Registry Exams for Diagnostic Medical Sonography, which is administered by the American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography. When the student passes the exam, he or she attains the designation "Registered Diagnostic Medical Sonographer" (RDMS) if matriculating through the General/Vascular track or "Registered Diagnostic Cardiac Sonographer" (RDCS) if through the Cardio/Vascular track.
Your success is our priority. For more than 40 years, we have dedicated ourselves to healthcare education because we want you to become the best healthcare professional possible. Our instructors and staff are dedicated to providing you with the in-demand, hands-on education employers expect so that you may thrive in your profession. Pima Medical Institute started changing lives in 1972 when Richard Luebke Sr. and his wife, JoAnn, brought to life their dream of providing students with a quality medical career education.
- Certificate - Medical Administrative Assistant
- Certificate - Medical Assistant
- Certificate - Dental Assistant
- And more...
- Take the first step toward a career as a Certified Pharmacy Technician (CPhT) with Penn Foster Career School.
- Our online Pharmacy Technician training program will help you prepare for the Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam (PTCE) and the Exam for the Certification of Pharmacy Technicians (ExCPT).
- Take our online pharmacy tech program with you wherever you go. Our custom-designed learning platform is easy to use at home or on-the-move.
- At the end of your pharmacy tech program, you’ll have the opportunity to gain valuable, real-world experience at a CVS/pharmacy or Walgreens near you as part of our hands-on training externship.
- With low tuition costs and customized monthly payment plans with 0% interest, Penn Foster Career School can help you start a new pharmacy technician career path without breaking your budget.
- Regionally accredited by the Commission on Secondary Schools of the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools and nationally accredited by the Distance Education Accrediting Commission (DEAC).
- Pharmacy Technician
- Veterinary Assistant
- Medical Coding and Billing
- Interested in Helping Others? Get Educated in the Medical Field.
- Medical Assisting, Nursing, Health Sciences Degree Programs and More From Top Colleges that Fit Your Needs.
- Build the Capabilities and Connections to Power Your Future.
- Find Schools Online or Near You & Get Info for FREE Today!
SALARIES FOR ULTRASOUND TECHNOLOGISTS IN LAS VEGAS
In a May 2012 report, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) estimated that diagnostic medical sonographers in the Las Vegas metropolitan area had a mean annual wage of $70,580, or made $33.93 per hour. For the state of Nevada, the median annual salary for sonographers in 2012 was $73,000 ($35.12 per year), outpacing the national median by $7,100. The BLS estimated that there were 180 diagnostic medical sonographers in Las Vegas, thus making the city home to about 53 percent of the state's ultrasound technicians.
LIST OF DIAGNOSTIC MEDICAL SONOGRAPHY PROGRAMS IN LAS VEGAS
College of Southern Nevada (Las Vegas, NV)