Students interested a careers in medical sonography have about five sonography schools in Minnesota from which to choose. Located throughout Minnesota, the schools include:
- Argosy University – Twin Cities in Eagan
- Mayo School of Health Sciences – Rochester
- St. Catherine University – St. Paul
- St. Cloud Technical and Community College – St. Cloud
- University of Minnesota - Rochester
Sonography Education in Minnesota
Although sonography education varies by school, all sonography programs require students to complete classroom courses, laboratory classes and clinical education. The clinical portion requires that students spend a designated number of hours in supervised internships in area healthcare facilities. Courses students may take include sonography principles and instrumentation, ultrasound physics, foundation of sonography, anatomy and physiology, medical terminology and psychology.
Students also complete courses, both coursework and clinicals, in various areas of sonography such as pediatric, abdominal, vascular and OB/GYN sonography. Upon completion of most of the programs, the student is eligible to sit for the American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography national certification exams in abdominal ultrasound, ultrasound physics, gynecological and obstetrical ultrasound, echocardiography and vascular technology.
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Radiologic Technology (AAS)
- Radiation Therapy (AS)
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- Health Information Management
Get personalized attention with UMA.
One-on-one tutoring, pre-interview coaching, job search assistance, alumni services-they’re all included in Ultimate Medical Academy’s competitively priced tuition. As a nationally accredited school, we provide quality career training online and at our campus in Clearwater, Florida. Let’s talk about your needs, your career goals and how UMA can help you succeed.
- A.S. - Healthcare Technology and Systems
- Diploma - Healthcare Technology and Systems
- Master of Science in Healthcare Informatics
- Online Bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, Psychology, IT, Healthcare Management & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Provide a range of campus experiences and services online including advising, tutoring, student community, and career services
- Give students and alumni access to career assistants who help with resumes, cover letters, job hunting, and more.
- Specialization in Nursing Informatics (MSN)
Logan is a non-profit university founded in 1935. Logan University has remained grounded in chiropractic education, while continuously enriching academic options with degree offerings in health sciences since 2012.
- Master of Science - Health Informatics
Salaries for Sonography Tech
Although the salaries for sonograhpy tech in Minnesota vary by location and experience, these medical professionals generally earn very good wages. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported that diagnostic medical sonographers earned a mean annual wage of $72,870 as of May 2012. This amount, which is substantially higher than the national average of $66,360, continues to grow each year.
According to the Society of Diagnostic Medical Sonography 2013 Salary and Benefits Survey, the median annual wage for sonographers was $70,000. They also reported that the median wage for men ($73,130) was higher than for women ($68,125).
List of Medical Sonography Programs
Diagnostic medical sonography programs are similar from school to school. Associate degree programs are generally aimed at students starting this career, whereas, bachelor’s degree and certificate programs are usually for registered radiologists who wish to advance their training. Here are the different programs students can take to become ultrasound technicians in Minnesota.
- Certificate of Completion in Sonography
- Associate of Applied Science in Diagnostic Medical Sonography - Generalist
- Associate of Applied Science in Diagnostic Medical Sonography with specializations in echocardiography, general sonography or vascular technology
- Bachelor of Science in Health Professions with a Sonography concentration
Medical Sonography Classes in Minnesota
|St Catherine University||2004 Randolph Ave |
Saint Paul, Minnesota 55105
|St Cloud Technical and Community College||1540 Northway Drive |
Saint Cloud, Minnesota 56303
|Lake Superior College||2101 Trinity Rd |
Duluth, Minnesota 55811
|Argosy University-Twin Cities||1515 Central Parkway |
Eagan, Minnesota 55121
|Mayo School of Health Sciences||200 First St SW |
Rochester, Minnesota 55905
|Mayo Clinic||200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN – 55905||www.mayoclinic.org|