Being an ultrasound technician is both hard and rewarding work. While working under the direction of a radiologist, you will use high frequency sound waves and imaging techniques to perform medical diagnoses. This will generate cross section images of organs, as well as check on a baby’s development in the womb. You will aid doctors with diagnosing their patients and will make sure both the mother and baby are healthy during a pregnancy. The job is very important, but you can’t just jump into it; you have to study, too. That’s where the ultrasound tech schools come in.
What Do I Need to Know?
While most degrees do not have prerequisites for entering their programs, there are subjects that they suggest their students be familiar with. You will need a high school diploma or GED to enroll in any educational program. It will help you to study math, computer science, English, health, and the physical and life sciences. Studying human anatomy is also a must.
A Little Bit About School in San Diego
San Diego has a population of about 1,223,400 people in the San Diego county. San Diego residents reported paying $15,081.00 as their average tuition for the 2009-2010 school year. Those students that were non-residents reported an average tuition cost of $17,043.00 for their ultrasound tech degree. Expect to spend approximately $1,273.00 for books and supplies. Living on campus costs, on average, $10,387.00. To live off campus during the 2009-2010 school year, students paid around $5,387.00.
San Joaquin Valley College is an accredited private junior college committed to the professional success of its students and graduates.
Founded in 1977, SJVC has campuses located throughout California-including an Online division and offers a variety of accelerated Certificate and Associate of Science degree programs in the business, medical and technical fields.
- Degree - Diagnostic Medical Sonography
About Brightwood College
Brightwood College offers accelerated programs that combine flexible schedules and professional instruction to create a rewarding learning experience for individuals focused on gaining the skills for specific careers. Brightwood College is owned and operated by Education Corporation of America.
About Education Corporation of America
Education Corporation of America's institutions broaden access to postsecondary educational opportunities.
- X-Ray Technician/Back Office Medical Assistant
- Earn your Bachelor of Science of Healthcare Management degree online
- South University brings over 115 years of achievement and tradition to a supportive, online classroom
- Program focuses on the business, management, and healthcare skills necessary for healthcare organizations to run smoothly
- Courses include Principles of Management, Healthcare Delivery and Organization, and Healthcare Finance
- Specialization in Nursing Informatics (MSN)
Study for your graduate education with University of Illinois at Chicago. We offer master’s degree and post-master’s certificate programs in health informatics that can be completed 100% online.
- Master of Science in Health Informatics
Your School Options
There are 3 schools in San Diego that offer ultrasound technician programs.
- San Diego City College – This program offers a certification in Biomedical technology/technician. Tuition in-state from the 2009-2010 school year cost students $624, but the out of state tuition cost traveling students approximately $5,040.00. The off-campus price for room and board are reported to cost about $10,872.00. 487 students received $3,989.00 per student for financial aid during the 2009-2010 school year.
- San Diego Mesa College – This college offers a certification and associates in biomedical technology/technician. Their website suggests a budget of $11,445 for an academic year if the student is a California resident living at home. This covers tuition and fees, books and supplies, food, housing, transportation, and personal expenses. If the student is a California resident living away from home (on campus), Mesa College suggests a budget of $17,889.00. The budget for out of state is suggested as $22,281.00. Approximately 406 students received aid that added up to $3,091.00.
- San Diego Miramar College – Like San Diego Mesa College, Miramar College offers a certification and associates in biomedical technology/technician. Their website says the total cost of attendance for a student living at home is approximately $11,645 and living on campus costs $18,287. This cost covers enrollment fees, health fees, books and supplies, food and housing, transportation, and personal expenses.
To find out more information, look at the websites for these three colleges and pick the program that is the best for you.