*This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Financing a college education to pay for tuition and other educational expenses can be challenging. For students studying to become ultrasound technicians, there are scholarships and grants available that offer financial assistance to offset costs. To qualify, students must meet the criteria set forth by the sponsoring organization. If you are studying to become an ultrasound technician, here are three financial aid opportunities to investigate:
The Society of Medical Diagnostic Sonography Educational Foundation Scholarships
This $2,500 scholarship is awarded twice a year, once for the fall/winter semester and once for the spring/summer semester. The money can be applied towards tuition, books or educational fees. Applicants for this scholarship must meet the following criteria:
- Being accepted to or currently attending an accredited sonography school or training program certified through the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP).
- Being a current SDMS member in good standing.
- Demonstrating financial need through information provided on the application.
The SDMS also offers other scholarships and grants including those for Advanced Degree Scholarship Programs, conference grants and grants to help with costs associated with the sonography certification exam. More information about this scholarship may be found here: SDMS Scholarship and Grant Opportunities
Jerman-Cahoon Student Scholarship
The American Society of Radiologic Technologists (ASRT) sponsors a scholarship offering $2,500 for six qualified applicants among the fields of radiography, sonography, magnetic resonance or nuclear medicine. It is an annual, entry level scholarship with the following requirements for applicants:
- Being a United States citizen, national or permanent resident.
- Being enrolled in an accredited radiologic program, including the field of sonography.
- Having a minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- Finishing your degree or certificate program after September 1 of the year in which application is due.
In addition, applicants must be members in good standing with SDMS and demonstrate financial need through their application answers. Check out more information about this scholarship and application deadlines at: ASRT Jeremen-Cahoon Student Scholarship
The International Foundation for Sonography Education and Research
This $500 scholarship is for students accepted to or currently enrolled in CAAHEP accredited diagnostic medical sonography schools. Applicants must demonstrate financial need and satisfactorily complete the required application. Additional criteria for this scholarship includes:
- Being a student in good standing for at least two semesters.
- Maintaining a 3.5 GPA for all completed Diagnostic Medical Sonography courses.
- Providing other information as requested that documents the applicant’s need for financial aid.
- Providing proof of volunteer work, community service or externship service in the ultrasound field.
For more information related to this scholarship, go here and click on the links provided: IFSER Scholarship Information