Looking for a challenging yet rewarding career? Consider becoming an ultrasound technician. Read below and learn everything you can about sonography schools and training programs in Dallas.
Find Accredited Sonography Technician Schools in Dallas
Although there are more than 25 accredited diagnostic medical sonographers schools in Texas, there are only a couple in Dallas. However, there are about five within a 100-mile radius of Dallas. The two schools located right in Dallas are El Centro College and Sanford-Brown College - Dallas. When pursuing this career, it’s important that students choose accredited schools because students must have completed training at an accredited school if they wish to obtain certification.
Sonography education in Dallas consists of medical courses, lab courses and clinical education. Because these programs are degree programs, the student is also required to complete general education courses such as algebra, composition, and anatomy and physiology. The medical courses include sonography of obstetrics/gynecology, ultrasound principles and instrumentation, physics, sectional anatomy, pathophysiology and pharmacology. The final couple semesters will have the student completing field experiences and clinical internships in approved healthcare facilities. During the clinical phase, the students gain experience in the actual workplace and will perform procedures in various areas of sonography under the supervision of a certified diagnostic medial sonographer. When students complete this training, they’re qualified to take the American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonographers (ARDMS) certification exam. The can also pursue certifications through the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists.
- See how you could play a crucial role in healthcare with a Medical Assisting degree
- This degree program is available in both English and Spanish
- Offers scholarships to qualified active-duty personnel, retirees & dependents
- Ranked #42 in 2018 Best Value Schools in U.S. News & World Report
- Regionally accredited private career university with degrees on campus or online
- Associate of Science in Diagnostic Medical Sonography-Concentration in General and Vascular Sonography
- Associate of Science in Diagnostic Medical Sonography
- Associate of Science in Nuclear Medicine Technology
- And more...
- Find Online Schools. 100% Online Accredited Courses
- Get Matched to Programs In A Few Clicks!
- Earn an Affordable Degree from Home at your own pace
- Get College info today. Its Free and Easy!
Salaries for Sonography Tech
The mean annual wages for sonography tech in the tri-city metropolitan areas of Dallas, Plano and Irving was $66,210, as of May 2012. This figure is consistent with the wages earned by this profession nationwide, which were $66,360, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. However, several factors can affect the earning potential for Dallas sonographer, such as level of training and experience, place of employment and certifications earned. An entry-level sonographer can earn about $43,000, while an individual experienced in this profession can earn more than $90,000.
List of Diagnostic Medical Sonography Programs
The diagnostic medical sonography program at El Centro College is an Associate in Applied Science in Diagnostic Medical Sonography program. El Centro College also offers an Advanced Technical Certificate in Sonography program for individuals who already have an associate degree in a different healthcare profession or a bachelor’s degree with a science major. Both of these programs take five semesters to complete. Sanford-Brown College offers an Associate of Applied Science in Cardiovascular Sonography program, as well as a Diagnostic Medical Sonography certificate program.