For those interested in pursuing a career as an ultrasound technician, education and training is available in Virginia. Virginia offers some of the best and most affordable health care in the country and places a premium on health equity and high quality medical services for all its citizens. The same philosophy holds true for its accredited sonography technician schools.
The state itself offers a great place to work and live. Recreational opportunities abound from visiting Virginia Beach to skiing in the Blue Ridge Mountains. There is a wealth of history to explore at early American settlements like Jamestown and Williamsburg. The nation's capitol, Washington, DC., is within a day's drive for all citizens. Virginia attracts people from all walks of life and continues to be a good state for people to find jobs and raise families. As these same residents will eventually need health care, it is also a great place for ultrasound sonographers to find employment.
Sonography Education in Virginia
Medical sonographers are trained to use ultrasound equipment to produce sonograms or pictures of internal human structures. The most common reasons to have an ultrasound include: Observing and measuring the growth of a fetus, diagnosing internal problems such as pelvic bleeding or locating internal abnormalities.
Curriculum in this field includes: mastering knowledge about how to use ultrasound equipment properly; assessing internal structures of the human body; and diagnosing pathologies. Candidates also train in on-site settings. Programs vary in length: 1 year for a certificate, 2 years for an associate degree, and 4 years for a baccalaureate degree.
Candidates can start working in the field with qualifying certification. Though Virginia currently does not require licensing, it is advised that all ultrasound sonographers receive credentialing by the American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography. Having credentials from ARDMS will provide a wider range of job opportunities.
- Apply At Fortis College Today! Explore the Career Programs.
- Radiologic Technology
- Medical Assisting Basic X-Ray Technician - Associates
- Medical Assisting with Basic X-Ray Operation
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- Health Information Management
Miller- Motte Technical College (MMTC) can help get you from here to a new career!
Miller- Motte Technical College (MMTC) has a history of helping students succeed through hands-on education and career training. Our faculty and staff work to ensure that when you’ve completed your program, you’re truly ready to begin your career.
- Healthcare Technology - Associate of Occupational Science
- Associate’s, Bachelor’s, and Master’s degrees available in a wide range of fields.
- Flexible online programs offered in Psychology, Criminal Justice, Education, and more.
- Assigned Financial Services Advisors to help answer student financial questions.
- Servicemembers and their spouses can apply for the Ashford Military Grant to reduce tuition for all undergraduate courses.
- B/S Health Information Management
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
- Surgical Technology - Associate's
- Health Information Management - Associate's
- Online bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, IT, Healthcare Management, Pscyhology & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Specialization in Nursing Informatics (MSN)
Discover the Difference a Community of Support Makes in Your Educational Journey. From Application to Graduation, the Support You Need to Achieve Your Goals. 100% Online.
New England College was founded in 1946 to educate soldiers coming home from war. The same great support system that welcomed returning GIs is still a hallmark of NEC today. From enrollment services representatives who’ll guide you through the application process to interactive tools that help you collaborate with instructors and classmates, NEC inspires you to reach the milestones of your educational journey.
- BS in Healthcare Administration/Health Informatics
Study for your graduate education with University of Illinois at Chicago. We offer master’s degree and post-master’s certificate programs in health informatics that can be completed 100% online.
- Master of Science in Health Informatics
Salaries and Outlook for Ultrasound Careers in Virginia
Jobs in ultrasound technology are in high demand and on the upswing in Virginia. The last published statistics from the Bureau of Labor indicated that the growth in this field will be faster than average at 39% between 2012-2022. Salaries vary by region, but median pay across the state for 2012 was reportedly $70,840.
Diagnostic Medical Sonography Programs in Virginia
Virginia has a number of top rated choices for education in ultrasound technology. All of Virginia's programs are associated with regional or area hospitals to afford students full diagnostic training and experience. These schools are also accredited through the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Programs (CAAHP) or recognized by the American Registry of Radiology Technologists (ARRT).
- Northern Virginia Community College: Accredited Associates Degree Program in General Sonography (CAAHEP Accredited and ARRT Recognized)
- Tidewater Community College: Accredited Associates Degree Program in General Sonography (CAAHEP Accredited)
- Southside Regional Medical Center in Petersburg: Accredited Associates Degree Program in General Sonography (CAAHEP Accredited and ARRT Recognized)
- Piedmont Virginia Community College (ARRT Recognized)
- ECPI University, Newport News (ARRT Recognized)
Medical Sonography Classes in Virginia
|University of Virginia (UVA)||1827 University Avenue |
Charlottesville, Virginia 22903
|Shenandoah University (SU)||1460 University Dr |
Winchester, Virginia 22601
|Piedmont Virginia Community College||501 College Drive |
Charlottesville, Virginia 22902
|Tidewater Community College||121 College Place |
Norfolk, Virginia 23510
|Northern Virginia Community College||4001 Wakefield Chapel Rd |
Annandale, Virginia 22003
|Southside Regional Medical Center Professional Schools||737 South Sycamore Street |
Petersburg, Virginia 23803
|Ecpi University||1001 Omni Blvd Ste 200, Newport News 23606||www.ecpi.edu|