For those interested in pursuing a career as an ultrasound technician, education and training is available in Virginia. Virginia offers some of the best and most affordable health care in the country and places a premium on health equity and high quality medical services for all its citizens. The same philosophy holds true for its accredited sonography technician schools.
The state itself offers a great place to work and live. Recreational opportunities abound from visiting Virginia Beach to skiing in the Blue Ridge Mountains. There is a wealth of history to explore at early American settlements like Jamestown and Williamsburg. The nation's capitol, Washington, DC., is within a day's drive for all citizens. Virginia attracts people from all walks of life and continues to be a good state for people to find jobs and raise families. As these same residents will eventually need health care, it is also a great place for ultrasound sonographers to find employment.
Sonography Education in Virginia
Medical sonographers are trained to use ultrasound equipment to produce sonograms or pictures of internal human structures. The most common reasons to have an ultrasound include: Observing and measuring the growth of a fetus, diagnosing internal problems such as pelvic bleeding or locating internal abnormalities.
Curriculum in this field includes: mastering knowledge about how to use ultrasound equipment properly; assessing internal structures of the human body; and diagnosing pathologies. Candidates also train in on-site settings. Programs vary in length: 1 year for a certificate, 2 years for an associate degree, and 4 years for a baccalaureate degree.
Candidates can start working in the field with qualifying certification. Though Virginia currently does not require licensing, it is advised that all ultrasound sonographers receive credentialing by the American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography. Having credentials from ARDMS will provide a wider range of job opportunities.
- Named a Best for Vets school by the Military Times in 2014.
- Has specialized in student-centered technology, business, criminal justice, health science, and culinary education for over 45 years.
- Makes it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in 2.5 years or an associate’s in 1.5 years by providing a year-round schedule.
- Offers externships and clinical experience that help students prepare for life after they graduate.
- Has 10 campuses across the mid-Atlantic, plus online degree programs.
- Diagnostic Medical Sonography - Associate's
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Health Information Management
- Ranked one of the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs in 2014 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Offers a no-obligation, 3-week trial period where students may determine if the university is right for them before they commit to it.
- Strives to be a student’s partner in lifelong learning; committed to helping them achieve their goals.
- Serves students of all ages, from first-graders learning to read to professionals seeking postgraduate training.
- Provides career-oriented diploma through master’s programs in fields such as healthcare, business, legal and paralegal services, information technology, criminal justice and design.
- Master of Health Information Management
- BS in Health Information Management
- Bachelor of Science: Health Information Management
- Earn your Bachelor of Science of Healthcare Management degree online
- South University brings over 115 years of achievement and tradition to a supportive, online classroom
- Program focuses on the business, management, and healthcare skills necessary for healthcare organizations to run smoothly
- Courses include Principles of Management, Healthcare Delivery and Organization, and Healthcare Finance
- Specialization in Nursing Informatics (MSN)
Miller-Motte Technical College (MMTC) has a history of helping students succeed through hands-on education and career training. Our faculty and staff work to ensure that when you've completed your program, you're truly ready to begin your career.
- Healthcare Technology - Associate of Occupational Science
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Sterile Processing Technician
- Surgical Technology
- IMBA - Healthcare Informatics
Salaries and Outlook for Ultrasound Careers in Virginia
Jobs in ultrasound technology are in high demand and on the upswing in Virginia. The last published statistics from the Bureau of Labor indicated that the growth in this field will be faster than average at 39% between 2012-2022. Salaries vary by region, but median pay across the state for 2012 was reportedly $70,840.
Diagnostic Medical Sonography Programs in Virginia
Virginia has a number of top rated choices for education in ultrasound technology. All of Virginia's programs are associated with regional or area hospitals to afford students full diagnostic training and experience. These schools are also accredited through the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Programs (CAAHP) or recognized by the American Registry of Radiology Technologists (ARRT).
- Northern Virginia Community College: Accredited Associates Degree Program in General Sonography (CAAHEP Accredited and ARRT Recognized)
- Tidewater Community College: Accredited Associates Degree Program in General Sonography (CAAHEP Accredited)
- Southside Regional Medical Center in Petersburg: Accredited Associates Degree Program in General Sonography (CAAHEP Accredited and ARRT Recognized)
- Piedmont Virginia Community College (ARRT Recognized)
- ECPI University, Newport News (ARRT Recognized)
Medical Sonography Classes in Virginia
|University of Virginia (UVA)||1827 University Avenue |
Charlottesville, Virginia 22903
|Shenandoah University (SU)||1460 University Dr |
Winchester, Virginia 22601
|Piedmont Virginia Community College||501 College Drive |
Charlottesville, Virginia 22902
|Tidewater Community College||121 College Place |
Norfolk, Virginia 23510
|Northern Virginia Community College||4001 Wakefield Chapel Rd |
Annandale, Virginia 22003
|Southside Regional Medical Center Professional Schools||737 South Sycamore Street |
Petersburg, Virginia 23803
|Ecpi University||1001 Omni Blvd Ste 200, Newport News 23606||www.ecpi.edu|