What do Sonographers Do?
According to the government website “Diagnostic Medical Sonographer” these technicians gather sonographic data to diagnosis disease and to monitor fetal heartbeat. They observe the screen, adjust the equipment for best imaging, and then generate reports to physicians who interpret them.
What Kind of Education do Sonographer Need?
Maryland does not require licensing as a sonographer, but most employers prefer people who have been trained at accredited schools and who have voluntarily submitted themselves for licensing. There are five areas of specialty for ultrasound technicians.
- Obstetrics and gynecology
- Cardiovascular sonography
- Abdominal sonography
- Breast sonography
You can graduate from a school with a certificate in as little as six months to a year. Associate degrees take two years, bachelor degrees take four years to complete, after which students can elect to pursue higher degrees, adding another two years for a master’s degree and three to five years for a doctorate. Students who want to pursue a career in sonography should decide on a professional goal within the field and then determine which educational path to follow.
Classes in most sonography schools in Maryland include Sonographic Imaging, which teaches students the factors and approaches that produce quality images. Other classes usually offered in the degree are: Medical Terminology, Anatomy and Physiology and Ultrasound Physics.
What Schools Teach Sonography in Maryland?
There are several online programs, some quite good, that are offered nationally. Maryland also has many community colleges and training schools for ultrasound technology. These schools usually assume incoming students already have completed prerequisites in mathematics, science, communications and other classes germane to a health-sciences career. For students who want to obtain an associate or higher degree at a traditional brick-and-mortar college, here are a few of the best.
- Montgomery College, located in Takoma Park, Maryland. The contact person is Linda Zanin and her email address is firstname.lastname@example.org
- Johns Hopkins University, located in Baltimore. The contact person is Carol Iverson, and her email address is email@example.com
- University of Maryland Baltimore County. This school is located in Baltimore as well. The contact person is Lyna Rumbarger at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Metropolitan Institute of Health and Technology (MIHT) is dedicated to educating men and women to serve with confidence in the health and technology industry. MIHT provides career training for students to move forward in their chosen field of study, changing their lives for the better. MIHT strives to provide quality education with affordable tuition. Our staff works to determine the best financial options for students on an individualized level.
- Electronic Health Records
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- Health Information Management
Ultimate Medical Academy Educates Future Healthcare Professionals
You bring your goals and motivation to UMA, and we will provide you the education and the support to help make you a success! Even if you haven’t been serious about your career before, we can help boost your confidence and prepare you for a career in healthcare.
- A.S. - Healthcare Technology and Systems
- Diploma - Healthcare Technology and Systems
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
What Are You Waiting For?
- Surgical Technology - Associate's
- Master of Science in Healthcare Informatics
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Medical Laboratory Technology
Logan is a non-profit university founded in 1935. Logan University has remained grounded in chiropractic education, while continuously enriching academic options with degree offerings in health sciences since 2012.
- Master of Science - Health Informatics
- Online Bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, Psychology, IT, Healthcare Management & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Provide a range of campus experiences and services online including advising, tutoring, student community, and career services
- Give students and alumni access to career assistants who help with resumes, cover letters, job hunting, and more.
- Specialization in Nursing Informatics (MSN)
What is the Job Outlook for Sonographers?
The 2023 career growth projections for sonographers were 445 new jobs and 160 replacement positions. Of course, with implementation of the Affordable Healthcare Act, demand will grow. The median salary for sonographers in Maryland in 2012 was $72,620.
Ultrasound technology or sonography, is a profession which offers many career paths. Clearly, with hospitals like Johns Hopkins, Maryland is an attractive location for practitioners, and a superior state to choose for your education.
Medical Sonography Classes in Maryland
|Sanford-Brown Institute-Landover||8401 Corporate Drive, Suite 500 |
Landover, Maryland 20785
|Montgomery College||51 Mannakee Street |
Rockville, Maryland 20850
|University of Maryland - Baltimore (UMB)||620 West Lexington St |
Baltimore, Maryland 21201
|Johns Hopkins Hospital||1800 Orleans St, #4052, Baltimore 21287||www.hopkinsmedicine.org|
|University of Maryland Baltimore County||1450 S. Rolling Road, Baltimore 21227||www.umbc.edu|