As of 2014, Sanford-Brown is the only institution in Texas’s largest city (Houston) to have an sonography tech training program accredited by the Commission of Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP). A national education provider with almost 40 locations throughout the United States, Sanford-Brown has one in Houston aptly named SBC-Houston. It is one of three Sanford-Brown campuses in Texas; the others are in Dallas and San Antonio. Overall Texas has 16 sonography techs accredited by the CAAHEP.
SONOGRAPHY EDUCATION IN HOUSTON
Students receiving sonography education in Houston enroll in Sanford-Brown’s Associate of Applied Science Degree Program in Diagnostic Medical Sonography. The curriculum is designed to train students for two years as they acquire the skills necessary for careers as ultrasound technicians in hospitals and private clinics. Courses are in subject areas such as medical imaging, sonographic patterns of organs, obstetrics-gynecology (OB/GYN), basic patient care, survey protocol, and vascular ultrasound. There is also a laboratory procedure component to give the students some hands-on experience. Overall, students are trained to be competent in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills), and affective (behavior) learning domains of sonography. Upon graduation, aspiring sonography technician are expected to be competent in performing diagnostic ultrasound examinations of the abdomen, pelvis, and superficial structures, among other areas of medical imaging.
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- Health Information Management
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Histotechnology (AAS)
- Looking for an Online Healthcare Degree Program That May Improve Your Career Options?
- EarnMyDegree.com Can Help You Match Your Educational Goals With Your Desired Career.
- Whether You Are Looking to Earn a Degree Online, or Study at a Nearby Campus, This Is The Place to Connect With a College That May Be Ideal for You.
- Browse Through Our List Of Online Colleges and Traditional Schools to Determine Potential Places to Earn a Degree NOW!
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Earn your Bachelor of Science of Healthcare Management degree online
- South University brings over 115 years of achievement and tradition to a supportive, online classroom
- Program focuses on the business, management, and healthcare skills necessary for healthcare organizations to run smoothly
- Courses include Principles of Management, Healthcare Delivery and Organization, and Healthcare Finance
- We're now Non-Profit.
SALARIES FOR SONOGRAPHER IN HOUSTON
Diagnostic medical sonographers in the Houston area made a median annual salary of $65,840, or $31.66 per hour, in 2012, according to a report by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). This figure is slightly higher than the one for the state of Texas, which is $64,300 ($30.93 per hour). The bottom 10 percent of Texan earners in the ultrasound technician field made $45,200 ($21.75 per hour) in 2012; the top 10 percent made $86,900 ($41.78 per hour). The Houston metro area has the fourth-largest level of employment of diagnostic medical sonographers in the country, with 1,130 people in 2012; that constitutes 32 percent of the sonographers in Texas. The BLS expects a 52 percent increase in employment for the entire state, thus increasing the number of professionals to 5,410.